Push Play - Ginny Ghezzo

Ginny Ghezzo's Personal Blog ... testing 1, 2, 3

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Affordable Housing and Code for Durham: A Love Letter

TL;DR: You should join us at Code for Durham and help us make our town better.

Just like #TheDress of 2015, Talia Jane has once again allowed each of us to use her open letter to the CEO of Yelp to draw up sides, find our echo chambers and practice our clever turns of phrases in open letters.

Apparently the housing situation is San Francisco is especially good fodder for open letters . The Guardian does a good job of outlining many of those here.  But it makes me think of my charming town. This is a love letter to Durham, NC.

I have lived in Durham for 26 years. It is a perfect town. Small enough where you run into people you know and large enough to have art, jobs and amazing food[1][2][3]. That is all I need.

Durham is growing leaps and bounds. The good citizens of Durham are also aware that with growth comes responsibilities. The volunteers at Durham Code for America are providing insight to influence policy. It is also an opportunity for me to learn from data scientist,  programmers and architects working with city data. [Side note: Unfortunately the work we are deriving this from is written in Jekyll and Ruby. Right now I am a tad too polyglot. I need to stay focused. 

Big thanks to Brittnay, Derek and Ron for a lot of fun and answering all my silly questions! See you in two weeks.
Ginny

And as Bill Bell and Montell Jordan say "This is How We Do It"




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home