Push Play - Ginny Ghezzo

Ginny Ghezzo's Personal Blog ... testing 1, 2, 3

Monday, February 01, 2016

TechGirlz and IBM - Lego Robotics



On Wednesday, twenty three girls and a bunch of volunteers met at IBM in Research Triangle park to learn about robotics and have fun with Legos. This event was another in a series of local TechGirlz sessions.

Luckily Jennifer Raisig, Manager of Mobile Quality Assurance (MQA) Development, had recruited a lot of volunteers, trained in the art of Lego Robotics. As both an IBMer and regular Triangle TechGirlz Volunteer, I had the job of checking in the students and answering any questions the parents have. When I get this opportunity, I realize I missed my true calling in life. I love the role of welcoming and answering questions.

Here are a few from that night:

Q: How do I sign up my daughter for future events? 
A:  The TechGirlz team does a good job of updating facebook, twitter and the site with details. However, I like to do a search directly on EventBrite to see if the next sessions are open.

Q: What is the issues with women in technology?
A: Tech is awesome for women, until it is not. There is so much progress happening and so many organizations like TechGirlz, Girls Develop It, Black Girls Code and more. As my circle grows, I do see how unconscious bias continue to effect our careers and opportunities. As my circle grows, I am also blessed with incredible technical women who inspire me to explore. If you can see my twitter lists, check out "BlechleyCircle" for women who will inspire you as well.

Q: Why do you volunteer with TechGirlz? 
A: This was the sweetest. We were wrapping up and everyone was on cloud nine from a great event. Which is also the answer. TechGirlz reminds me of the days I got to play with my Commodore 64 or the first time I delivered code to VisualAge Smalltalk. There is a pure joy in discovery and learning.

Q: What kind of help does TechGirls Need? 
A: There are a lot of ways people and companies can help:
  • Donate meeting space - You can join great companies like IBM, Bronto, Spoonflower, Bandwidth and others who have opened their offices to us. 
  • Sponsor swag and snacks - Easy to make donations on the site : http://www.techgirlz.org/raleigh-durham-techgirlz-group/
  • Volunteer to teach or assist- Use your experience to educate and inspire young girls.
  • Buy us TechGirlz tshirt - Seriously, getting tshirts for the students and volunteers would make our fearless leader, Deirdre so happy
Enjoy,
Ginny
Oh Music.  How about some Lily Allen "Air Balloon"


1 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, Blogger Ginny said...

I've received two questions:
1. Can TechGirlz Donations be designated for the local chapter?
Yes, the main TechGirlz organization does a great job of focusing resources for all the chapters but also flexible to get funds to local chapter based on the donors preference through a note to Tracey and Karen in teh Philly office.

2. Where can I order a tshirt?
http://duke-winston.com/products/tech-girlz-womens-tee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home