Push Play - Ginny Ghezzo

Ginny Ghezzo's Personal Blog ... testing 1, 2, 3

Friday, June 29, 2012

Women Make Men Dumb

As a women in a male dominated* field, I think about how my gender effects other's perception of my performance and potential.   In general I often come to the conclusion that gender in IT is a wash**.

This study (which I have not read) and this article (which I did), made me ask two questions :
  1.   Does the effect of women on men fade with familiarity?   or How quickly does the effect fade?  (In the study, the men knew nothing more then the name of the observer) 
  2.   Do men notice the 'cognitive impairment', either consciously or unconsciously?   If they do, does that make them enjoy working with men more?  

* "Male Dominated" : Is IT Sexist?   I don't believe it is.   My statement of male domination is based on more STEM male graduates and that most luminaries in the IT world are male.   I find IT gender neutral overall.
** I see both benefits and drawbacks.   On the whole all of them are overcome through good business practices and hard work or worst case a Honey Badger don't care attitude.

1 Comments:

At 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's true. You still addle my senses after all these years.
-Alan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home