Push Play - Ginny Ghezzo

Ginny Ghezzo's Personal Blog ... testing 1, 2, 3

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

The Dunning-Kruger Effect : Realizing you are a Sexist, Racist


"The miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others."[1] David Dunning and Justin Kruger- wikipedia
I propose that if you don't identify as a sexist and racist, you could be wrong. I propose if "color-blind" and "meritocracy" come to mind to justify satistics, you could be wrong. I do not expect it is for lack of empathy or lack of education. As Hanlon reminds us, it is not malice, just stupidity.

I am not an expert in unconscious bias. I recognize the benefits of my own privilege. I have had little experience of prejudice towards me. I am working my way up the awareness curve.

Here are a few resources I have found useful:
 And here are a few things we can do:
  • Join a group where you are a minority and follow. Take the notes, make the coffee, keep your mouth shut. 
  • Read outside your circles.  "Invisible Man" by Ralph Ellison and "I know Why the Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou blew my mind.
  • Look at awesome women and minorities: If you only think of white males when you think of scientists, mentors, and heroes, fix that. It takes effort but it is well worth finding people like Charles Bolden, Jennifer Pahlka, and so many others. I often tag my favorites with #bletchleycircle.
  • Smile. I swear it is the easiest way to face our human nature and then be better! 
If you are worried this is directed at you, Congratulations! You are probably less of a sexist and racists then most and more aware of you own bias! I would be interested in hearing your advice. 
-Ginny

And as always, a little music 








1 Comments:

At 9:53 AM, Blogger Ginny said...

We even teach our computers our bias' "First, students should learn that design choices in algorithms embody value judgments and therefore bias the way systems operate." http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/11/upshot/algorithms-and-bias-q-and-a-with-cynthia-dwork.html?smprod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share&_r=2&abt=0002&abg=0

 

Post a Comment

<< Home