Push Play - Ginny Ghezzo

Ginny Ghezzo's Personal Blog ... testing 1, 2, 3

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Python, Mindcraft and Getting Started

I had the fortune to attend All Things Open (http://www.allthingsopen.org/) this week in Raleigh, NC.   It was very well run, extremely enjoyable and generally reminded me again why I love this industry.  

While there were a lot of good speakers and maybe some impressive names, I do find I am a 'fangirl' of the folks at the keyboard.   There are a lot of cool projects, cool ideas and cool people.   With each one I meet I can't help but think "Wow, that could definitely make the world a better place".  

To resist my inclination to do it all, one thing seems very possible and consistent as a jumpstart for me: Minecraft.   Here are the pieces:
  • Minecraft Inspired Project at GitHub : https://github.com/fogleman/Minecraft (thanks Michael Fogleman)
  • Written in Python 
  • Upcoming Carrboro Python Project Event November 13 (thanks Tobias McNulty) 
  • Using Mindcraft to reach rural youth (thanks Erynn Peterson) 
By the end of October, I will try to setup the minecraft demo and show my son.   My hopes this becomes a family projects to learn python and eventually ... well "makes the world a better place".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home