Push Play - Ginny Ghezzo

Ginny Ghezzo's Personal Blog ... testing 1, 2, 3

Friday, June 20, 2014

The story of my life : Creating Margins

Early in my marriage my husband confronted* me about the lack of margins I allow in my life.   It was profound, difficult and a lesson I return to often.   Lately I have been considering if margins can be made for others.   In particular, I am seeing a reemergence of management carving out specific time to 'think' or 'innovate' or 'be a rock star'.  

I do not believe margins work that way and I know that innovation does not happen that way for professionals.   I would rather see this:
  1. Be clear on what is a priority.   If it changes too often or if it is not relevant don't bother. 
  2. Be clear that things will not get done.   Recognize the trade-off you are making to give them space to innovate.  
  3. Recognize people innovate differently then you.   When I run, I am smarter and more creative.   My husband needs time alone to be inspired.   My son thrives with energy from close friends.   
http://xkcd.com/1381/


 PS> The Shannon–Hartley theorem has blown my mind
* for those who  have met my husband, you know that 'confront' is always done gently.

1 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, Anonymous Ruby said...

Yes! I agree with your three points.

For me, the key is to build innovation into the tasks already being done. For instance, my job is to solve problems. For each problem I solve, there is a built in step to look for what was innovative about the way I solved the problem.

If "innovate" is a task outside of everyday job responsibilities, it will never get done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home