Push Play - Ginny Ghezzo

Ginny Ghezzo's Personal Blog ... testing 1, 2, 3

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Does Sheryl Sandberg aggravate my Stereotype Threat?

I have to wonder if thinking about Stereotype threat makes it worse?   As with all good 12 step programs, admitting you have a problem is the first step to dealing with it.   However, am I now hyper aware of being a women in an IT Industry?   Does Ms Sandberg's encouragement to "Lean In", just make it all seem too difficult?  That I am not in fact empowered to change the story line?

I am very fortunate at IBM to work for and with smart, confident women.   Dibbe Edwards, Wendy Toh, and Jeanette Deupree .    I am also tickled and proud to work for another Ginni,  Ginni Rometty.  But mostly, I am privelged to have a husband that reminds me that it is not women but everyone who should be treated as an individual.

  1. Invite others to the table.  Assume the most and assume the best in everyone. 
  2. Recognize, acknowledge and then overcome my own stereotypes as I work with people. 
  3. Thank my husband for all the days he gets dinner on the table!
-G

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home