Push Play - Ginny Ghezzo

Ginny Ghezzo's Personal Blog ... testing 1, 2, 3

Friday, January 13, 2006

As Jonathan gets older ...

I have always known that it is possible Jonathan will have a hard time being a black child in a white family. Everyone mentions how "Cruel children are" but in my mind children will always find something to pick on a kid for. I believe a strong family and a lot of love can give a child a safe place away from a cruel world.
However, words from Melody Irving on "America Behind the Color Line" (by Henry Louis Gates Jr) have opened my eyes and made it clear it is more real then I expect. She lives in a predominantly white, upper class neighborhood called Summit. When her kids were young, it was easy but as they got older it was tougher and tougher. I also see it in myself and in others as Jonathan gets older. When he was a baby everyone talked to us. Now as a toddler fewer people ask if he is adopted and want details on the topic. When I see black children with white adults my mind even has a hard time sorting out what is appropriate to ask.
So what are we doing about it? Hopefully the right thing for our little Jonathan.

G

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home